Monday, January 25, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

I don't know how we didn't find out about this earlier? I'd heard through a few friends about this thing called Bountiful Baskets where you get a ton of produce for a very reasonable price. Some is local depending on the season. We thought we would take a chance and were very pleasantly surprised. We put in our order on Tuesday to pick up on Saturday at a local park. We ordered the regular basket which was fruits and veggies (apples, bananas, tomatos, brocolli, red peppers, strawberries, lettuce, zuchinni, cucumber, pears, oranges, grapefruit) and added a Mexican pack (green chilis, limes, jalapenos, tortillas, cilantro, onion, tomatillos, avacado, green onion) and a 5# bag of granola. All for $35. The basic fruit/veggie basket was only $15. It was like Christmas when I brought it home and the produce was beautiful. Easton and Larry were in heaven as Larry is a huge veggie eater and those of you who know, Easton takes after his daddy in the eating department.

I just kept thinking to myself......What am I going to do with 8 red bell peppers? 9 tomatoes? 8 green chilis? Here is what I've done so far.

*Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup......yum! took care of 5 peppers. The other went into egg scrambles and Larry's lunches.
*I'm getting a canner today so that I can can the green chilis and jalapenos.
*Zuchinni Gratin
*Green Tomatillo Salsa with Jalapeno

I was concerned that we may not be able to finish it all in a week before it went bad but we are well on our way and think we should be able to go through all that produce in a week! It feels great to be eating so many fresh veggies and helping the community at the same time.

3 comments:

Becki said...

I'm so glad that you posted about this! I was hoping that I'd get to see pictures of all the things you guys had in your basket. I can't wait to get one this week too! You'll have to let me know what you decided to do with everything. Question, what are you doing with 5lbs of granola?

cortneytalbott said...

Granola: Larry likes to eat it like cereal. I like it with vanilla yogurt and berries as a snack. :P

mama wolf said...

Hi Cortney -- I hope all is well with you guys. Your son is ADORABLE! I'd love to catch up with you -- you can find me on Facebook or email me at whitandwil@charter.net
Hope to hear from you soon!
xoxo Whitney