Sunday, August 23, 2009

Beautiful Bend, Oregon



















Easton and I took off to visit Grandma, Grandpa, and Great Grandpa Bud last Monday. We booked our tickets on a whim as they dropped in price. One of the perks of staying home is that we can take off whenever the price is right.

I was a little nervous about the whole "flying with a baby" thing and got those looks from people as I boarded the plane. You know they were just thinking, "God I hope she is not sitting right next to me!" Easton did great sleeping through half of the plane ride then keeping the couple behind us entertained. Grandma was there to greet us at the airport and would not let her grandson out of her sight!

We spent the next few days bumming around Bend, shopping a little, having lunch together like old times, and playing for hours in the grass. Sure there is grass in Arizona but if you've ever vistited the Northwest you know that it's just not the same. You can actually sit in the grass without feeling like you're getting poked with a thousand needles in your rear. Although the weather was warm (95 on Wednesday) it was still a cooldown for us. We enjoyed eating dinner outside everynight with a nice breeze looking at the fields that led to the snowcovered mountains. After dinner we would sit on the grass out front and enjoy the breeze. Easton figured out how to bear crawl across the pavement too. He was so busy exploring it's no wonder he slept well. He pet his first horse (cried), saw his first cows (held onto me with a death grip) and had way too much fun tormenting Tinker their Jack Russel Terrier.

On Thursday my sister-in-law, Trina, made the drive up from Klamath Falls to see us for the day. We all went out to Sisters (the tiny little western town where I attneded high school) for the day. There were lots of little shops and places to eat. Go figure the only thing that was purchased was a $2.50 rubber ball for Easton to play with back home.

I was knocking on wood saying that Easton had slept so well the whole trip (8-5 in the pack and play then 5-7 with me in bed) until Thursday night rolled around. He was really fussy on Thursday night and even cried through his bath which is so unlike him. He woke up at 11:30, 3:00, then 3:45. When I pulled him into bed with me he was burning up. I stripped off his flannel jammies and took his temperature. Sure enough he had his first fever. He slept a little longer after some Motrin and a bottle. I was extremely nervous for the plane ride home on Friday but we lucked out and had an empty seat (only two seats in the row) right by us. Again he slept for about an hour, had a snack, played a little but by the end of the flight I could tell his fever was back. He was lathargic and just not himself.

Larry picked us up at the airport and we went straight home to take his temp. Sure enough it had spiked to 102 degrees. Poor little guy was so hot. We called the pediatrician and took him for a swim in the pool to try to get his body heat down. Friday night was tough. It almost made me cry to see him not feeling well and just so upset. The only way he would sleep was on Larry's chest or in my arms. He finally went down for bed at 9. By Saturday he was feeling better and acting like his normal self. The pediatrician said it sounded like teething because he doesn't have any other symptoms.

All in all it was a really nice trip. It was wonderful to get some cool fresh air and see the family again. Made me question why we ever moved in the first place? I guess come winter when it's 70 degrees in Arizona we wouldn't think that way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous place & gorgeous pictures!! I love the one through the wagon wheel! Seeing a place like that is just making me want to move more lol!

Did Easton warm up to the horse or cow? I'm wondering how Noah will handle them...

Karina said...

I love the pictures! Glad that you guys had so much fun visiting your family.
Hope Easton feels better!!!

Anonymous said...

Good pictures Cort!
Can't get that 50mm off the camera now eh? Try your shorter zoom lens for outside to give you some variety in focal length since it looks like you're not running it close to wide open.

Erin said...

Your brother's technical tips crack me up! These pictures are so great. I'm so happy you had a good trip. Those pictures make me want to fly to Oregon with you sometime. I've always wanted to go... your parents would love to have another baby around right!?